This page is unusually long. Use your browser's 'Find on this page' facility to search for cemetery records
The Church of England cemetery is on the slope of a ridge, on the south side of the Paddington cemeteries, enclosed with a paling fence, in a fair state of preservation. So far as examined the oldest grave dates back to 1847 when Samuel Henry Copperthwaite was buried on May 27. The most recent graves are dated in 1875, so apparently all funerals after that went to Toowong. Except on three or four graves the lantana has been kept out, and the ground is clear.
But there is the same dismal spectacle of fallen and leaning and broken stones, as in the other cemeteries. Evidently grass fires have killed some of the trees. Among those that remain are a few that date back to the start. There is a silky oak at least three feet in diameter, and a fine grey ironbark very little less.
The others are Moreton Bay ash, blue gum, cypress pine, and a few figs. The old road winding through the ground is still clearly defined, though unused for over thirty years. What a long line of hearses and sad processions passed along that road, in the vanished years that saw so many “white robed forms of friends long given, in agony to the earth and heaven.”
There must be thousands of dead in that graveyard, since the burial of Miss Hill, Walter Hill’s daughter, in the Toowong cemetery in 1871 up to the present day, that graveyard has received 29,600 dead, representing a period of 26 years.
At Paddington, the Church of England ground received bodies for 28 years. The graves are in rows over the whole area, probably not more than one in fifty with a headstone. Conspicuous here, as in other cemeteries, is the small number of old people, the great number of children, and young men and young women. The great majority are under 40. On entering the gate, the eye is caught at once by three graves that call back many historic memories.
A blue granite eight foot high monolith, the Egyptian symbol of the Supreme God, stands on the grave of Arthur Stuart Bernays, the eight month old child of Lewis Adolphus (Bio) and Mary Bernays. This child died on May 16, 1865, or 42 years ago. The fact is recorded on a square of marble screwed on near the top of the monolith, which is a miniature of that Cleopatra’s Needle that stands 68½ feet high and weighs over 185 tons.
As that was sculptured more than 1500 years before Cleopatra was born, it is not clear why it bears her name. Bernays, the father of that child of 1865, is the present Clerk of the Assembly, a position he has held since the first Parliament of Queensland opened, in the old convict built stone building in Queen Street, afterwards the Supreme Court.
We may marvel at the fact the L. A. Bernays has seen all our Governments and their supporters come and go, and sat and listened to their oratory – and is still alive! He is probably immortal and will be sitting in the house a thousand years hence.
Close to the gate is one of the neatest and best kept tombs in the cemetery. It bears the name of Medora Ann Little, who died on February 27, 1872, aged 37. The Spanish name of Medora was probably taken from the Medora of Byron’s “Corsair.” Mrs. Little was the wife of the once well known Crown Solicitor, Little.
An iron railing enclosing two remarkable pioneers, prominent in early Queensland. These graves have also been well kept. Here lies Richard Jones, M.L.C., of Sydney, who died on November 6, 1852, aged 70. He was known to the public of that time as “Merchant Jones,” a man who invested a lot of capital in squatting in the first years of the Darling Downs. The first sheep that ever came over the range, belonged to Jones.
They were brought through Cunningham’s Gap, in 1842, by a man named Summerville, who was Superintendent for Jones. He took up Tenthill and Helidon stations, and put the sheep there. Another superintendent named Rogers, at the same time took up Grantham station, and took there a flock of sheep owned by George Mocatta, who took up Innes Plains on the Logan.
Writing in 1876, John Campbell, who took up Westbrook in 1842, said, “I had resided for some months very quietly on the Downs (1842), intent on getting my cattle broken into their runs, when I was one day astonished at hearing a French horn being blown, and looking out over the plain (Westbrook) saw a single horseman approaching.
Upon coming up he proved to be Mr. Summerville, the superintendent for Mr. Richard Jones, whose stock it appeared was on its way to what is now Helidon station.” That is the Richard Jones whose last sleep is in the Paddington cemetery.
Buried beside him is John Stephen Ferriter, who died on October 21, 1865, aged 63, another squatter of the early days. Ferriter and Uhr were partners. One of these Uhrs was once Sergeant-at-Arms in the Assembly. John Uhr was killed by the blacks at Sandy Creek, near Gatton.
Other Uhrs were officers in the native police, and well known in the north especially Darcy Uhr. Pioneering squatting was a different business from squatting of today. The numbers of whites known to be killed by blacks in the first ten years of settlement were 254.
When Rogers went to Grantham station, near the present Laidley, he took possession of about 400 sheets of bark the blacks had stripped for their own wet weather camps. These had been taken off ironbark trees, after the rough outside was knocked off. Rogers gave nothing in return, and Campbell said that this act of mean robbery led to the murder of at least seventeen white men, mostly shepherds.
Then the Sydney Government sent up a detachment of soldiers, who were quartered at the foot of the range, to protect dray traffic. The camp was long known as the “Soldiers’ Barracks.” Those were days when John Kemp estimated the fighting strength of the Helidon district tribes at twelve hundred men.
If one had only complete reminiscences of Richard Jones and Stephen Ferriter, the two men side by side in the Paddington cemetery, what an interesting picture they would give us of those long vanished old, wild, rough days.
When Jones died he was member for the Stanley boroughs, in what is now Queensland, in the Legislative Council of New South Wales. He had been chairman of the Bank of New South Wales, Sydney. He died out at New Farm, and the body was brought by water to the Queen’s wharf, from whence a funeral procession of about 500 people followed it to the cemetery.
The chief mourners were Thomas Jones, J. S. Ferriter, Daniel Peterson, and William Uhr. Jones , who was a native of Wales, and came to Sydney in 1819, married in 1823, Mary Louisa Peterson, by whom he had two sons and four daughters. His daughter, Mary Australia, married Captain W. B. O’Connell, Minister for Lands. The daughter, Louisa, married R. R. Mackenzie, once Premier. Ferriter’s widow, a tall, handsome woman, resided for about 20 years in No. 2, Hodgson Terrace, with a maid, who stayed beside her to the last.
The Uhr at the funeral, was Ferriter’s partner. There was one E. B. Uhr, J.P., a squatter at Wide Bay. A writer of 1854, says of Ferriter; “John Stephen Ferriter, R.N., was the Agent for Immigration, and lived in a cottage adjacent to the stone barracks between George and William Streets, afterwards the Colonial Treasurers’ Office. He was somewhat addicted to bad puns, but otherwise of a kind and gentle disposition.”
Thomas Grenier, a youth of 17, who died on August 25, 1857, was the eldest son of Thomas and Mary Grenier, who kept a hotel at South Brisbane at that time. It was the chief resort of the squatters, and there was many a wild scene there. On one occasion some joker packed all the knives, spoons and forks from the breakfast table into a valise of old Captain Collins, who calmly rode away with them to the Logan, and got home before he discovered the contents.
In the meantime Grenier had the blacks’ camp searched, and much suspicion fell upon innocent men, until choleric old Collins walked in, and banged the entire cutlery on the table, with language that nearly set fire to the house. The Grenier family owned much property in South Brisbane, including Highgate Hill.
A 22 months old child of J. C. and Emily Vidgen was buried on March 25, 1866. The mother is also dead. She was the first wife of the well known and much liked secretary of the Brisbane Gas Company. She was a Lancashire girl, but they were married in Scotland. Vidgen’s second wife was a Miss Mossop.
In the notice of Crown Solicitor Robert Little, we omitted to mention that his first wife was a Miss Geary, daughter of old Captain Geary. His second was a Miss Bramston, sister of John Bamston, (Bio) once Attorney General – 1870 –74. He also held a seat for three years in Herbert’s first ministry. Bramston and R. G. W. Herbert, (Bio) our first Premier, batched together in the house well known as “Herston,” near the children’s hospital.
The name was thus constructed. They took the “Her” from Herbert, and the “Ston” from Bramston, and made a blend of “Herston” out of the first and last syllables. G. P. M. Murray, our ex-P.M. calls his house “Yarrum,” his own name reversed.
Amongst those buried in that Church of England cemetery, unknown and unrecorded, is a man whose name calls back an episode of 1842. At that time, there was an Eaton Vale station, on the Downs, a young Jackaroo named Barker, who in after years became the Hon. Wm. Barker, of Tamrookum station, on the Logan.
An old man named Kelly and his wife and son, were travelling as hawkers, and camped on the present site of Leyburn, then taken up as a station by Pitt and Bonifant. This Pitt gave his name to the present Pittsworth, and one of his daughters married the late Macdonald-Paterson. Two men posing as shearers joined the hawking party.
On the second night out from Leyburn, these two persuaded young Kelly to sleep at their fire, and shot him dead while he was asleep, their intention being to kill old Kelly and his wife, and take all the property. But old Kelly heard the shot, got his gun and went over to the camp. The two scoundrels ran away, and afterwards separated.
One went towards the Clarence, then called the “Big River,” and the other, after going nearly to the Severn, doubled back to the Downs. He was a small dark man with one eye, and his name was Selby. He went to Jimbour woolshed, left there and went by Westbrook, on the way to the main range.
Having accidentally shot off one of his fingers, he made for Rosewood station, to have his injury seen to by Dr. Goodwin. Young Barker was one of the pursuers on his track. Selby left Rosewood and went towards the Logan, evidently making for the Clarence. The hutkeeper on Telemon was a ticket-of-leave man, named Brown. Barker gave him a description of Selby, and also told him there was a reward of £100 for his capture; consequently Brown was on the lookout for him.
Two days afterwards, Selby walked up to the hut, and Brown recognised him at once. He acted as a genial host to Selby, while he sent an aboriginal secretly for assistance. Selby was taken to Maitland, tried and hanged, an act of justice due directly to Barker and Brown.
Brown died in 1856, in Brisbane, and lies in the Paddington cemetery. He got the reward and a free pardon for the capture of Selby. Barker, and Murray-Prior, (Bio) and C. R. Haly married three sisters named Harper, all very handsome women. Prior’s wife was the mother of Mrs. Campbell Praed, and Mrs. John Jardine. Mrs. Barker was the mother of the well known Barker family of Brisbane.
In one grave, which ought to have received a little more attention, are Louisa Tully and her month old child Blanche. She was the first wife of the late William Alcock Tully, (Bio) ex-Surveyor General, and eldest daughter of the late Simeon Lord, of Eskdale station and son of Simeon Lord, one of Sydney’s best known men seventy years ago. He was generally known as “Merchant Lord.”
The Eskdale Lords once lived in Tasmania, where they had a station called Bona Vista, near Avoca. Fred Lord, of Brisbane, some years M.L.A. for Stanley, was born at Bona Vista, on November 8, 1841. The station was once stuck up by two notorious bushrangers named Dalton and Kelly. While they were inside the house, Constable Buckmaster came onto the verandah. They fired through a glass door and shot him dead, one ball striking him in the forehead.
Nobody else was hurt. Lord’s daughter, Louisa, was then a child. She was born there in the year 1837, and died in Brisbane on February 20, 1866, aged 29. Her only sister married a Lieutenant Airey, who came to Sydney and Brisbane as a Lieutenant of Marines, in the Challenger with the Duke of Edinburgh, in 1868 and 1869. He became in after years, the late Lieutenant Colonel Airey, of Sydney.
One of the Challenger’s men died in Brisbane and is buried at Paddington. His name was Percival Perkins Baskerville, Commander in the Royal Navy. He died on March 1, 1869, aged 21. One of Louisa Tully’s brothers, Robert Lord, was once member for Gympie. His widow is the present wife of Sir Horace Tozer, Queensland’s Agent General. Louisa Tully left two sons, one of whom is in ‘Frisco, and the other in Sydney.
Tully’s second wife was a Miss Darvall, sister of Anthony Darvall, for many years manager of the A.J.S. Bank in Ipswich, and a candidate at the first federal elections.
The first Mrs. Tully had five brothers, William, Robert, Frederick, Alfred and Simeon. The first two are dead. Simeon, one of the owners of Eskdale, has also an oyster farm at Lord’s Creek, Southport. One of his daughters, Ruby Lord, is at the convent school at Warwick, and exceptionally clever at woodcarving and fancywork.
W. A. Tully, husband of Louisa, was once a very prominent Brisbane man. He was born in Dublin in 1830 and graduated as a B.A. of Trinity College in 1852. In that year he came to Tasmania, and met the Lord family. He stayed there until 1863 and became Inspecting Surveyor in the Survey Office. In 1863 he came to Queensland, and in 1864 was Commissioner for Lands in the Kennedy district. In 1864 he was transferred to the Warrego.
In 1866 he was appointed Chief Commissioner, and then Under Secretary for Lands. In 1875 he became Acting Surveyor General, and in 1883 was appointed Surveyor General. Finally he became a member of the Land Board. He and the second wife, Miss Darvall died, and are buried together in Sydney. The first wife, Louisa Lord, is alone in the Paddington cemetery.
Charles Henry Rawnsley, who died on January 16, 1873, aged 55, was a staff surveyor who surveyed much of the country around Brisbane. He purchased land and built “Witton Manor” on it, at Indooroopilly, the house long occupied by D. C. McConnell, and afterwards by Andrew Bogle.
Rawnsley took some interest in natural history, and was the cause of a curious discussion in the “Courier,” on a supposed new bower bird which was actually named “Ptilonorhynchus Rawnsleyi,” and held that name until Gerard Krefft of the Sydney Museum, proved it to be an immature male Regent bird, with only part of the yellow colors displayed.
The Rawnsley’s “satin winged bower bird” retired into oblivion. Charles Coxen, Sylvester Diggles, and Gerard Krefft were the principal writers in this old time long dead controversy. One of Diggles’ sons is in the Electric Telegraph office.
William Grosvenor Armstrong was the year old child of Octavius (and Jessie Augusta) Armstrong, one of our veteran police magistrates, still in service at the Central Police Court, and residing at South Brisbane. The child died on May 29, 1872.
The name of Georgina Hely, who died on September 10, 1866, as the widow of F. A. Hely, of New South Wales, at the age of 71, recalls an old and remarkable family of the early days. Hovenden Hely, a giant of six feet six, was one of the men who started with Leichhardt on his second expedition.
He and Leichhardt and Daniel Druce (“Old Ironbark”), left Sydney for Raymond Terrace, on the Hunter River, in the steamer “Thistle,” on September 30, 1846. From there they came overland to Jimbour. However, Hely’s experience with Leichhardt was not pleasant, and the expedition returned from the Mackenzie River as a disastrous failure.
When Leichhardt started west on his last trip, in 1848, and no traces of him were discernible for three years, Hovenden Hely went out in 1852 with a search expedition, but his two blacks deserted him, and he returned to the coast, after being within two days journey of where the wild blacks told his own blackboys the Leichhardt party were all killed.
Hovenden Hely had a number of sons, who ranged in height from 6ft to 6ft 4in., and three of them are well known in Brisbane. The Georgina Hely, of the Paddington cemetery, was mother of the wife of the late W. L. G. Drew. She was a tall handsome woman.
William Yaldwyn, the now retired police magistrate, of Brisbane, buried a six weeks old child on May 12, 1867. Yaldwyn’s second wife is a daughter of the genial Phil Agnew, Post and Telegraph Master of Dunwich. The child of 1867 was named Duncan Francis. Yaldwyn was one of the early squatters of the Dawson, and was out there in 1861, when 19 people were killed on Wills’ station on the Comet.
Mary Ellen, the wife of T. H. B. Barron, was a daughter of Arthur Wilcox Manning, once Under Secretary. This was the Manning whom a relative named Bowerman, also in the service, struck on the head with a tomahawk, and badly wounded.
Parliament in an hour of unreasoning sentimentalism, rushed through a “Manning Pension Bill,” giving him a pension of £600 per annum, and £300 yearly to his widow if she survive him. Manning died after drawing about £20,000 and his widow still draws the £300.
Bowerman’s tomahawk will probably cost Queensland about £30,000. And Manning went to live in Sydney, and not a penny of the pension has ever been spent in Queensland. Barron’s first wife, Miss Manning, died on December 21, 1866. His second wife was a daughter of the once Registrar-General Blakeney, and she is still alive. Both wives were fine looking women. The only daughter of the second wife is married to a son of Sir Arthur Hunter Palmer.
Charlotte McKeand, who died on April 19, 1865, was the wife of a giddy financial agent, McKeand, who had an office at the top of Queen Street, beside where a chemist named Drew had a shop, near where Dr. Hugh Bell resided, at the corner of Queen and George Streets.
McKeand made much money and lost it again in a fashion common with giddy men, and all that is left to perpetuate his name is his wife’s grave at Paddington. He was the sixty per cent magnate of that period. He owned the land now occupied by James Cowlinshaw and Herbert Perry, on the Breakfast Creek road.
Henry Kingsmill Shaw and his wife Helen, buried a year old infant on November 29, 1874. Shaw was one of the managers of George Raff and Co., and had a tragical death in a lagoon near Dalby.
He stripped to swim in after some ducks he had shot, became entangled in the weeds, and was drowned. The present writer remembers the sad event. The widow married again, and kept Auckland Villa, Tank Street, as a boarding house.
Tom Haynes, who died on June 12, 1875, was coachman for Governor Cairns, who put a large, horizontal slab, with a cross, over his grave, and an inscription to say it was a record by the Governor.
Charles Street, who died on September 23, 1873, aged 42, was engaged at Pettigrew’s Sawmills in William Street. His brother was father of the Street sisters who had an artificial flower and dressmaking shop in the building now occupied by the Protector of Aboriginals. One of these sisters married J. G. Drake, and another was the wife of Inspector A. D. Douglas.
Daniel Weinholt, over whom is a fine marble monument, died at Cleveland, on February 28, 1865, aged 43 years, leaving a widow and four children. He was a son of the then late J. B. Weinholt, of Kent and Weinholt, who were among the early squatting families of Queensland. The monument was erected by the brothers and sisters.
Thomas Burnett Temple, M.R.C.S., who died on June 10, 1864, aged 32, was a young doctor who came out for his health, and died of consumption. His mother lies beside him, and Cecil Burnett Temple, a child of 13 months. The mother died on November 24, 1873, aged 50. The grave has a marble slab on a large stone cross.
Inside one railing is a row of five headstones, over F. J. Barton and his two infants, Charles Samways Warry, Albert Barton, Thomas Symes Warry, and Thomas Warry. F. J. Barton, who was a doctor, died on August 31, 1863.
He was married to a Miss Warry, who, as Barton’s widow, married Dr. Hugh Bell, and, on a trip to Scotland, was lost in the Fiery Star, which was burned at sea, on Good Friday, 1866. Barton was one of the first doctors of the Brisbane Hospital, when it was in George Street. Albert Barton, who died on February 23, 1864, was his brother.
Thomas Symes Warry was a chemist in Queen Street. He died, unmarried, on August 19, 1864, aged 42. This Warry was a humorist. On one occasion he induced Billy Brookes to climb a greasy pole in front of his shop in Queen Street. Those were days when Billy was not the severe good templar he became in after years. The pole climbing scene was exhilarating.
Billy, with the aid of sandpaper on his hands got about half way and then slid down with great celerity. Then he and Warry went over to call on “Pretty Polly,” at the Treasury Hotel, to drink confusion to greasy pole climbing.
“Pretty Polly” afterwards married a man named Moffit, and they kept the Royal Hotel, opposite the Post Office for years. After she became a widow, Polly went to Charters Towers, and died there. Thomas Warry, senior, died at Gladstone, on February 7, 1869, aged 77. The mother of the late Tom Pratten, of the Railway Department, was a Miss Warry.
Emily Gertrude, was the year old child of Sheppard and Emily Smith, and died on February 24, 1862. Smith was the first manager of the Bank of New South Wales. He was a tall, fine specimen of a man, about six feet two, and his wife was a little woman. The smallest women never seem to hesitate about facing giants.
Richard James Coley, who died on September 12, 1864, aged 60, was Sergeant-at-Arms in the Legislative Assembly. Coley came to a tragic end at the cottage still occupied in George Street, close to Harris Terrace. His son came to an equally tragic end in after years.
One daughter was married to a squatter named Thompson, on the Dawson, and another married C. B. Dutton, once Minister for Lands, Minister for Railways, and Minister for Works and Mines, in the first Griffith Ministry. Beside Coley are his two little girls, of 8 and 13. The first died on March 4, 1845, the other on June 30, 1851.
Sarah Emily Harris, who died on September 17, 1866, aged 78, was the mother of John and George Harris, once the leading Brisbane merchants and shipping agents. George married a sister of the late George Thorn, of Ipswich, and their well known home, “Newstead,” at the mouth of Breakfast Creek, was famous for its generous hospitality.
Mrs. Harris, who is yet alive and well, is still a fine looking woman. She is mother of the well known Did Harris. The mother of J. and G. Harris is described as a grand old lady. Both brothers are dead.
John Hurrow Turner, who died on July 20, 1862, was manager of the Union Bank in Brisbane. He was born at Milthorp, in Westmoreland. It is rather singular to find two John Turners, managers of the Brisbane Union Bank, and no relation to each other.
John Hurrow Turner came up from Melbourne to take the place of John Sarjeant Turner, whom the directors wanted in Melbourne for some special work. He came up also in the hope of improving his health, but consumption had too strong a hold, and he died while in Brisbane, at the early age of 36.
A few extra particulars concerning the old historic Hely family. Frederic Augustus Hely, whose wife lies in the Paddington cemetery, was the first Superintendent in Chief of convicts in Sydney. He died in 1835, and was buried in a vault in his own orchard at Gosford, Broken Bay. His wife was Georgina Lindsey Bucknell.
One of their sons was Hovenden Hely, the explorer, who was out with Leichhardt in 1846, and went to search for him in 1852. One son was Henry Lindsey Hely, a barrister, who became a Queensland District Court judge. One daughter married the late W. L. G. Drew, then a paymaster in the Fleet. He came to Queensland, joined the Civil Service, and his last position was Chairman of the Civil Service Board.
Another Hely girl married Edward Strickland, a major in the Royal Artillery, and afterwards Sir Edward Strickland, Commissary- General, who served in the Zulu War of 1878. Another girl married Captain G. K. Mann, Royal Horse Artillery, who after retiring from that position, became Superintendent of the Penal Settlement on Cockatoo Island, Sydney Harbor, where he planned and superintended the docks.
Hovenden Hely was the father of the six tall sons of whom one is Major Hely, at present in the Government Savings Bank. These are a few results from F. A. Hely’s marriage in the long ago with the woman who lies in the Paddington cemetery.
Mary Grace Sheppard, who died on June 28, 1869, was the wife of Edmund Sheppard, judge of the Metropolitan District Court. Her infant son, Alfred Henry, had died on October 15, 1866. One of our chief Government officers tells the following gruesome story:
In 1869 a young fellow named Davidson was out one night with some boon companions, and they were on their way home late at night. Davidson lived in North Brisbane, the others on the South side. He went with them to the ferry, and they advised him to go home.
The ferry boatman was a Chinaman, named George. A punt also ran across on a rope, there being no bridge. They pushed the boat off, and Davidson took off his coat and trousers and dived in head first after it. The Chinaman merely said, ‘Oh, let him swim out,’ and pulled away. Davidson was drowned, and the police dragged for two days without success.
On the third day, the ferry boat left the steps with Mrs. Sheppard, then on the eve of becoming a mother, two other passengers, and the officer who tells the story. When a short distance out, the punt was coming in from the south side.
Suddenly, at the stern of the boat, the body of Davidson rose from the river, head first, shot up, until breast high, glared, as it were, for a second with those ghastly, glassy, staring eyes, turned over on the back, and floated away.
The second it rose, the officer, with remarkable presence of mind, instantly caught Mrs. Sheppard by both arms, to prevent her turning around to look at the body, and held her for at least a hundred yards, speaking to her softly, and telling her he would give a clear explanation.
The judge afterwards thanked him earnestly, expressing a belief that he had save his wife’s life. Alas! Poor Mrs. Sheppard got puerperal fever after the birth of that baby, and lies there in the Paddington cemetery, so her life went after all.
A young Church of England clergyman is thus recorded: “Jesu Mercy. In memory of the departed John Brackenridge M. A. of Christ’s College Cambridge, Clerk in Holy Orders who died March 26 1861, aged 31". He was one of the many young men who have come out to Queensland in that advanced stage of consumption which no climate can cure.
Amos Braysher, who died on September 27, 1871, aged 35, was the landlord of “Braysher’s Hotel,” now the Metropolitan, in Edward Street. His widow married Duncan, and after Duncan died, Mrs. Duncan kept the hotel for years. Mrs. Duncan’s Metropolitan Hotel was the favourite house for squatters in those days, and probably then the best hotel in Brisbane.
Buried at Paddington, is an old fellow named Marvel, perhaps a descendant of the famous Andrew Marvel. He was one of the band of ticket-of-leave men who came to the Darling Downs in 1840, with Patrick Leslie, when he took up the first station, Toolburra.
In after years, Leslie wrote that “they were 20 as good and game men as ever I saw, and worth any 40 I have ever seen since.” Marvel was a chum of Peter Murphy, whose name is borne by Murphy’s Creek, on the Toowoomba line. Murphy was also one of Leslie’s men, and he died at Charters Towers on April 6, 1878.
Among the stone less graves is that of Tom Mostyn, one of the mob who pulled Trevethan’s butchers shop down in the beef riots at Charters Towers, on October 30, 1872. Another man named Perkins was with Captain Owen Stanley on the Rattlesnake, on the Queensland coast, in 1846, and was present at the Captain’s funeral at North Shore, Sydney, on March 10, 1850.
There are many interesting men lying among the unknown dead. A young fellow buried there was a son of Charles Alcocks, who was one of the owners of the “Free Press,” a squatting paper, published in Brisbane in 1851, the office being on the site of the present Australian Hotel.
Young Alcocks was killed by being thrown from his horse at Cowper’s Plains, in 1851. These plains are erroneously called “Cooper’s Plains,” though named from Dr. Cowper, the first medical man at the early convict settlement at Moreton Bay. Even Moreton Bay is spelled wrongly, as it was named by Captain Cook after the Scottish Earl of Morton, in whose name there is no “e.”
An old lady, still living, tells us that in the Paddington cemetery, she has a brother, who went up the Brisbane River on June 27, 1846, in the first trip of the small steamer, Experiment, owned and built by Pearse, when the first and second class passenger return fares were 6s and 4s, and the freight on wool was 2s per bale.
She remembered when Francis Gill, for many years Postmaster at Ipswich, had a saddler’s shop at South Brisbane, in 1843. This latter tough old gentleman is still alive and well, and can be seen weekly in Queen Street, faultlessly dressed and wearing a bell topper hat.
She herself remembers when the first soda water and lemonade factory was started in North Brisbane, by Fisher and Gregory, in 1853, and Dr. Hobbs had his dugong oil fishery on the island of St. Helena, fifteen years before Superintendent Macdonald started to cut the scrub in 1864 to prepare it for a penal settlement.
A two year old son of John and Ann Nott was buried on May 17, 1875. Nott was a merchant in Elizabeth Street, and had a wholesale house there. His wife was widow of a painter named Murray. She was a daughter of Lachlan McLean, whose son, William McLean, was once a well known blacksmith in Elizabeth Street. Nott died at Enoggera Terrace. His widow is still alive, and resides near Woolloongabba. She was referred to in a former article.
Elizabeth Bateman, who died on March 9, 1873, was the wife of Samuel Bateman, who kept a hotel on the site of the present Hotel Cecil. It was built by a man who was foreman printer on the “Courier,” in old Jimmy Swan’s days. After Bateman died, the property was bought at a low figure by Dr. Mullen, who built the Hotel Cecil of the present day.
The Horrocks family buried three of their children, Reginald Blackall, Algernon Levinge, and Gertrude Mary Horrocks, in 1871 and 1873, aged 13 months, 10 months and 2 years and 9 months. Horrocks was the well known officer in charge of the Orphans, and was once Immigration Agent.
He held a Captain’s rank in the army. He was a Manchester man, and a nephew of the Horrocks known to all women and drapers, as the originator and maker of “Horrocks’ long cloths.”
He married a Miss Miller, whose father was a police magistrate at Armagh, in Ireland. That marriage was against the wish of his uncle, and it cost Horrocks a fortune. Horrocks was an educated, polite man, who commanded general respect. The tragical fate of one of his sons is still familiar to Brisbane people. A daughter, aged 18 or 19, died recently, but Mrs. Horrocks still resides in Brisbane. Reginald Miller, of the Audit Office, is her brother.
Ernest Alexander Cairncross, a child of 21 days, who died on September 26, 1867, was a son of Cairncross, who kept a store on the corner of Queen and Albert Streets, where Rutter, the chemist, recently had a shop. Cairncross was married to a daughter of old George Edmonstone, once M.L.A., for Brisbane. He had a butchering business in Queen Street.
One of the daughters of Cairncross married the present Hon. A. J. Thynne, who was staying at the time with the Cairncross family on Spring Hill. This Cairncross is often confused with Captain Cairncross, who owned Wattlebrae, and in front of whose house was the “Cairncross Buoy,” well known to all boating men. That red buoy is still there.
A. R. and Annie Jones buried an infant on February 28, 1870. Jones was a shipbuilder, predecessor of Paul and Gray. One of his sons, named Sydney, became partner in the legal firm of Rees R. and Sydney Jones, of Rockhampton. He married a daughter of the late John Ferguson, and when he died his widow, who had several children, married J. T. Bell, late Minister for Lands.
There is a stone placed over Charles Augustus Basham, by his brother, W. H. Basham, who still resides at Oxley. Basham died on April 12, 1873, aged 37. The father of these Bashams was an officer in the Irish Coast Guards.
Our informant was present, as a boy, at his funeral, at Cushendall, Red Bay, Glens of Antrim, in 1849. The boy had run away from home to see the funeral, and saw a hearse for the first time. This gruesome vehicle gave him an awful scare, but nothing like the scare his dad gave him when he reached home.
Amelia Isabella Peake, who died on April 22, 1873, aged only 24, was the wife of Captain Peake, first Captain of the old Government steamer, Kate, which finally sank in Moreton Bay. Two of Mrs. Peake’s infants are buried with her. The ages, 24, 25, and 26, were the fatal period for an appalling number of wives.
When his wife died, Captain Peake went to Sydney, and died somewhere in New South Wales. One day in 1872, someone saw two large strange fish in the pond of the Botanic Gardens. Captain Peake had a seine net and that was taken down to the pond. The fish were caught and caused great astonishment, as no one at the time had seen anything like them.
But the usual expert came along and found that they were two specimens of Ceratodus of the Mary and Burnett Rivers. Enquiries proved that they had been caught years before in Tinana Creek and been sent down to the gardens by the late R. B. Sheridan, then Collector of Customs, in Maryborough.
Then they were restored to the pond and vanished again into oblivion until the days of curator McMahon, when one of his men, a Teutonic gentleman, was cleaning out the pond, and caught a ceratodus, then weighing about 12lbs. The German merely remarked, “By shingo, dis vos goot,” and took it home and ate it.
Next day he caught another, but McMahon happened to come along, and sent it up to Curator de Vis at the Museum. De Vis saw at once what the fish was, and sent it back to the Gardens, where it was placed in the pond, none the worse for its temporary absence.
Finally that one and his mate were removed to the fountain pond at the south-west corner of the Gardens, and both were taken away by the flood of 1893, or 21 years after Captain Peake had hauled them out in his seine net.
John Wallace Barnett, who died on September 3, 1872, at the age of 46, was a well known man in Brisbane, where he was Consular Agent for the United States, a country in which he had lived for some years. He and Heusmann, and G. R. Fyfe, were once owners of one of the principal Mount Perry mines, and the town of “Fyfe Barnett,” actually stood on the present site of Mount Perry.
Baynes was returned as member for the Burnett, at the General Election of 1878, as a supporter of McIlwraith. He was a fine, genial, honest fellow, and a general favourite on both sides of the House. The present writer was a member in those days and can write with authority. Sydney Barnett lives today at Ormiston, on the Cleveland railway.
One of Cobb and Co.’s coachman, a young fellow named Henry Taylor, was drowned in Oxley Creek, on March 11, 1870, aged 29, and his fellow employees erected a stone over his grave.
Marie Louise Fairlie, wife of Patrick Fairlie, sixth son of the then late Colonel James Fairlie, of Holmes House, Ayrshire, Scotland, died at Brisbane, on February 16, 1873, aged 31.
Referring to the “Courier” of that date, we find only the funeral notice, but there is a very ambiguous paragraph referring to the sudden death of some lady, in a high social position, who had been addicted to looking upon rainbow coloured wines, and had been fed on nothing but brandy and water for weeks before her death. The “Courier” thought the subject demanded a searching enquiry.
Among the unknown graves are those of a number of aboriginals, who were hanged. These are said, by some early colonists, to have been buried outside the cemetery, and others say they were buried in a corner inside. It is certain they were all taken charge of by the Church of England. On April 21, 1854, a notorious black called “Dundalli,” was hanged on the site of the present General Post Office.
He had been accused of seven murders, but the one he was hanged for was that of William Gregor and Mary Shannon, at the Pine River. On the day he was hanged – by a hangman purposely brought from Sydney – there was a mob of about 33 blacks on the “Windmill Hill,” where the Observatory is today.
They called to Dundalli, as he stood on the gallows, and he called back, telling them to be sure and kill “Woom-boongoroo,” the black who had betrayed him. He was captured in the Valley, where he had incautiously ventured among a lot of other blacks, through the agency of a man named Baker, who in after years had a farm and hotel at Walloon, in the Rosewood.
Baker knew Dundalli, and enticed him into a room where three other men were concealed, and the four men sprang on him, and held him until the police came. Dundalli was badly knocked about in the struggle. Mrs. Baker told the writer in 1878, that there was a reward of £25 for his capture, and she went to the courthouse and drew the money for her husband.
She is said to be still alive, in Ipswich, or was a few years ago. Dundalli had too long a drop, and fell with his feet on the coffin underneath. The hangman doubled his legs us, and added his own weight, until the miserable black was strangled. It was a ghastly spectacle for a crowd of men, women, and children. Dundalli was buried at Paddington, either inside or outside the Church of England ground.
Two other blacks who were hanged are also there. These were “Chanerrie,” and “Dick,” hanged on August 4, 1859, for a criminal assault on a German woman. They were two Burnett River blacks. There came “Kipper Billy,” who was shot by Warder Armstrong when attempting to escape from the jail.
It was remarkable that no bullet wound was discovered, but it must have reached his interior somehow, unless he died on shock, or what the modern Sawbones calls “stoppage of the heart’s action.” Presumably, if the heart continued working, death would be indefinitely postponed.
Some enterprising criminologist opened “Kipper Billy’s” grave, and took his skull away. This raised much indignation on the part of Shepherd Smith and Henry Buckley, the cemetery trustees. Someone, in 1854, had dug down to Dundalli and taken his head. The Paddington cemetery was a lonely isolated spot in those days, and there was opportunity enough to dig up anybody.
Buried there is a man named Jubb, who had a hotel in Cunningham’s Gap, on the old road to Toowoomba, in 1852. In that year, two distinguished visitors went up to see the squatters on the Downs. These were Lord Kerr, and Lord Scott, the latter being a son of the Duke of Buccleugh. They stayed, on their way up and down, at Jubb’s Hotel. These were the first lords who ever visited the territory now called Queensland. Jubb’s name recalls the “Jubb Jubb” in the “Hunting of the Snark.”
A neat headstone marks the grave of Thomas Ayerst Hooker, second son of James and Mary Hooker, drowned in the Condamine crossing at Undulla, on December 13, 1866. A squatter named James Hooker, or Hook, was one of the owners of Weranga Station, in 1856, afterwards sold by Hook, or Hooker, to Mort and Laidley. Was this young fellow Hooker his son? Perhaps some old squatter will kindly tell us. And was the body brought all that distance in those days, to be buried at Paddington?
Buried on December 23, 1871, was a child of seven months old, named Moreton Franklyn Ryder, son of the long experienced and courteous Under Secretary W. H. Ryder, of the Home Office. Ryder was born in Prince Edward Island, Canada, in November, 1843, and came to Victoria in 1851. In 1861, he was on the staff of the old “Guardian” newspaper in Brisbane, and in 1862 became a clerk in the Government Printing Office.
Thence he rose rapidly and finally reached the post of Under Secretary, in 1896. He had once a sadder bereavement than that of the baby of 1871, when a fine son was killed on Breakfast Creek bridge by being thrown off his pony on the way to school. One of his sisters was married to Rickards, once station master at Ipswich, and became mother of Katie Rickards, the brilliant pianisto.
Harold Durham Paul, who died on June 12, 1873, was a four months and fourteen days old baby, fourth son of George William and Emily Paul.
This George William is our well known genial Judge Paul, who was born at Penrith, New South Wales, on June 2, 1839, and came to Queensland on December 25, 1863. He became Crown Prosecutor in 1866, Acting Judge in 1871, and District Court Judge in 1874. He has been three or four times Acting Judge of the Supreme Court.
A young fellow named William Page had an accident on board the ship Light Brigade, on her way to Brisbane, and was so badly injured that he died after arrival, on December 15, 1866, aged 22. A young fellow named John Mace, said to be a brother or nephew of the famous boxer, Jem Mace, was drowned in the Brisbane River, on September 11, 1869, aged 23.
One grave holds the infant son of George Hope and Morforwyn Verney. Captain Verney was aide-de-camp to Governor Blackall, and left Queensland when the Marquis died. Evidently Mrs. Verney, if we are to judge by her name, belonged to a Welsh family. The child died on November 26, 1870.
It would appear as if one early settler was somewhat of a humorist, with regard to names. That was Henry Rosetta, who died on December 9, 1863, aged 49. Beside him lies a six year old son, whom he had named “Christmas Gift,” and who died June 23, 1864. This is the Rosetta who gave his name to “Rosetta Swamp” of the present day, the notorious quagmire out of which Dr. Ham has ordered the City Council to expel all microbes without delay.
One stone less grave contains a man named Marks, who was one of a number badly injured in a terrible boiler explosion at the Union foundry, in Maryborough, in 1872, when seven men were killed. One half of the boiler was blown clear over a Chinaman’s garden, 200 yards away.
In 1855, two shiploads of German immigrants arrived in Brisbane, by the ships Merbz and Aurora. They were engaged in Germany by a man named Kirchner, of Kirchner and Co., of Sydney, who brought them out on a two years engagement. They were intended for the stations, as men were scarce in those days, especially shepherds, of whom a great number were killed by the blacks.
The squatters were to pay £16 for each German’s passage, to be deducted from his two years’ wages. A majority of the squatters made no deductions, and the Germans gave great satisfaction. A number shared the fate of those who fell under the spear and nulla. Among these immigrants were two brothers named Muller, one of whom died a month after arrival, and was buried in the Paddington cemetery. The brother went as a hutkeeper on Manumbar station, and was killed by the blacks.
Captain Graham Mylne, M.L.A., and his wife, Helena White, buried a five months old child on May 31, 1868. Mylne in that year was member for the Warrego. The Mackenzie Ministry was in office, and in a precarious position. Not a soul of either the Council or Assembly is alive today. South Brisbane was represented by T. B. Stephens, North Brisbane by A. B. Pritchard and Dr. O’Doherty, the Valley by Charles Lilley.
The 20 members of the Council and the 31 of the Assembly are all dead. Mylne spoke of the position of the Ministry, who had been defeated on the Address-in-Reply, by 13 to 11, and the Governor refused to accept their resignation.
Mylne’s wife, the mother of the child at Paddington, was a Miss White, sister of Albert White, of the Logan River, now of Bluff Downs, west of Toowoomba. Besides his station on the Logan, Albert White held old Combabah Station, which took all the country from the Coomera River to Nerang, including Southport. In 1870, the Manager of Combabah was old Sandy Gordon, who kept a whole pack of Kangaroo dogs, the leaders of which were usually about a mile ahead of Gordon on the march.
Present writer was a youth of 17, when on a first visit to Queensland, in 1870, and we had two days kangaroo hunting with Gordon. Southport then was covered by heavy forest, with rank undergrowth, and long grass, full of wallabies. Albert White, the present owner of Bluff Downs, on the head of the Burdekin, was in Brisbane last week. He is one of the finest specimens of men in Queensland. He was a young man when owner of Nindooimbah and Coombabah.
His sister, who married Graham Mylne, is still alive and well, in Sydney, but Mylne died many years ago, at Eatonswell Station, on the Clarence. One of his sons, also a Captain Mylne, fought in the South African war, and was on the staff of Lord Metheun. He passed through Brisbane last week, and we shall have occasion to refer to him and Albert White again.
David Williams, who died on March 26, 1874, was a Welshman, who had been years in the pilot service, at Gladstone, and was also some time in the Port Office. Can anyone enlighten us concerning Clara Ann Hopkins, who died on April 12, 1874, aged 29
In the centre of Rosewood, near Marburg, is a flat valley, once known as Sally Owen’s Plains, still known as such to old residents. Sally was an old time celebrity, who kept a hotel at Western Creek, between Rosewood and Grandchester, then known as “Bigge’s Camp.” She used the plains for her cattle and horses, as they were safe there from horse thieves and cattle duffers.
The “plains” were merely an open forest pocket in the brigalow scrub. An enterprising person , who had run an illicit still in the old country, thought Sally Owen’s plains an ideal spot for a similar institution, and he made whisky and rum there in hundreds of gallons. Likewise he killed cattle and boiled then down for tallow.
He took this tallow to Ipswich in large casks, but there was only about six inches of tallow in the inside of the casks, and all the rest was occupied by kegs of raw spirit! This was engineered so cleverly that there was never any discovery. That old time distiller of Sally Owen’s Plains, lies at rest in Paddington cemetery, near the southwest corner. We withhold his name for the sake of his descendants.
The shepherds, shearers, stockmen, and bullock drivers of those days must have had a gay time with the rum from Sally Owen’s Plains. Artemus Ward would have said “that sort of rum inspires a man with a wild desire to smash windows!”
In reference to correspondents who wrote to make corrections. Notwithstanding the fair Josephine Papi’s declaration that her uncle Jerry Scanlan was a surveyor, we have the inexorable facts that he was a saddler by trade, and a policeman by choice.
Those who knew Jerry most intimately, say he would not have known the difference between a theodolite and a concertina. Jerry had a weakness for attending funerals, mounted on a serious looking horse, with two long “weepers” hanging from the back of his hat.
In reply to Mr. Rendall, who says his father’s name was John Wood Rendall, we can only say that John Randall is the name on the tombstone. In answer to Mr. Conroy, we have the fact that a Constable John Conroy was burned to death on the Durundur Road. There may have been two constables of that name.
A neat headstone is over Susan Geary, wife of Lieutenant William Geary, R.N. She died on August 9, 1852. She was the mother of all the Queensland Gearys, including four girls and three boys, of whom only one girl is alive today. One of the sons was once manager of Jimbour station when Joshua Bell was owner, in the days when champagne was a common beverage, and the silver on the Jimbour dining table cost £500.
Those days have passed. It is interesting to remember that Joshua Peter Bell was an enthusiastic admirer of the Miss Geary who married Robert Little, the Crown Solicitor. Both were competitors for her hand, and Little won. It was a grievous disappointment to Bell, but the squatters of those days, like the French Mirabeau family, had a talent for choosing fine women, and Bell went and wooed and won a daughter of Dr. Dorsey, of Ipswich.
She and the Miss Geary who married Little, were two of the finest specimens of women in Queensland. One Miss Geary married Percy Faithfull, member of an old time honoured family, in New South Wales. On one occasion in their single days, the sons of Faithfull were driving home across the Goulburn Plains, when they were attacked by Gilbert, the bushranger, and his gang, who had bailed up Springfield station, and rounded up the whole population.
The Faithfull boys made a gallant fight, and were quite a surprise party to Gilbert. The Gilbert men were armed only with revolvers, and knowing that one of the Faithfulls had a rifle, in addition to their revolvers, galloped round at long range, fired under the necks of their horses, and from behind trees, and generally gave the Faithfull warriors a wide berth.
One of Gilbert’s men got fairly close and fired from behind a tree, point blank at one of the Faithfull brothers, but Faithfull’s horse threw up its head at the exact moment, intercepted the ball with its forehead, and fell dead. Finally the bushrangers cleared, and the gallant fight of the Faithfulls was afterwards recognised by the Government in a gold medal for each of the party.
One Miss Geary married E. O. Moriarty, engineer in chief of Harbors and Rivers in New South Wales. Another married a nephew of Sir Maurice O’Connell. The Miss Geary who married Robert Little had a family of four sons and four daughters. William Henry Geary, the grandfather, died on February 20, 1870. He was at one time Harbour Master in Brisbane.
One of his sons, Godfrey N. B. Geary, was once chief clerk in the Lands office, and a captain in the artillery. He involved himself in a lawsuit for breach of promise brought against him by a Miss Hollingsworth, of Stanthorpe, and she got a verdict for a thousand pounds. But she merely held it over him in terrorem, like a Damocles sword, which was to fall only if he married another girl.
As he contracted no further engagements, the sword remained suspended until he died. Miss Hollingsworth finally married Tom Coventry, a gentleman whose name is not unknown in mining circles. Mrs. Coventry, an educated, intellectual, woman, was for years, the social editoress of the “Telegraph,” and once started on her own account a bright little journal called the “Princess,” which reached 22 numbers, and died generally regretted by all who knew it.
Margaret Francis Clara, wife of William Pickering, died on June 28, 1859, aged 43, and Pickering died on March 11, 1868, aged 57. Pickering was once Curator of Intestate Estates, also an auctioneer and commission agent, and owned a lot of land in theValley, where the Pickering Estate took in a considerable area now covered by closely built houses.
Alexander Raff succeeded him as Curator of Intestate Estates. One of his sons, now deceased, was a once fairly well known Captain Pickering, for some years labour agent in the South Seas. His family are still in Brisbane.
Elizabeth Cowell, who died on January 17, 1864, aged 38, was the first wife of Tom Cowell, once one of Brisbane’s best known men. Tom once had a dairy farm at the “One-mile Swamp,” the present Woolloongabba, and carried milk into town in two cans slung on a yoke across his shoulders. The farm was owned by old “Joe Howe,” who is still alive. Joe had one daughter who married Bill Moody, of Oxley.
Cowell prospered as he deserved to prosper, and in after years became the proprietor of the Sovereign Hotel in Queen Street. Finally he retired, and lived in a house on the North Quay, near the Longreach. The house was afterwards occupied by Dr. Purcell, and at the present time is tenanted by the Military Club. In that house, Tom Cowell’s first wife, a fine specimen of a woman, died a tragic death through her clothes catching fire, and the servant girl who tried to save her was also burnt to death.
In after years, Tom married again, and the second wife is still alive. By the first he had one daughter, who married a man named Daniell, who died not long ago. Present writer knew Cowell well. Once sold to him for £40 a double choke bore Greener gun which cost £65. Cowell afterwards sold it to Lennon, of Lennon’s hotel, for £40, and Lennon used it for many pigeon matches.
When he died the gun disappeared, and finally found its way to a Brisbane pawn shop, where warehouseman John Bell saw and bought it for £5, and it is now in his possession.
One headstone, which has fallen down, bears the name of two children, Emma and William Henry Collins, who died in 1863 and 1864. Beside them is the grandmother, Mary Collins, who died on July 12, 1873, aged 86, one of the very few old people in the cemetery.
The father of the children, Jimmy Collins, was a well known butcher and tanner, who once owned the present York Hotel, which he built up from a butcher’s shop, the money being mostly provided by Joshua Peter Bell, who realised the words of the Psalmist, “passing away, passing away,” for he never saw his cash anymore.
Ann Ellen Boyce, second daughter of William Martin Boyce, E.L.C.S., died on June 11, 1866, aged 24. Also Susan, wife of W. M. Boyce, died on May 27, 1874, aged 58. The stone also records Ellen Victoria Board, youngest daughter of W. M. and Susan Boyce, who died at Melbourne on August 24, 1877, aged 34.
She was the wife of T. A. Board, of Sydney, brother of G. L. Board, present chief clerk in the Lands Office and Inspector of State Forests. The stone also records Stuart Leslie Board, a child of the mother, who died in Melbourne. William Martin Boyce was for many years Town Clerk of Toowoomba, and his only son, J. A. Boyce, is the well known P.M. of Townsville.
The first wife of W. M. Boyce was a Miss Brown of Tasmania. When G. L. Board was a youth he went to a collegiate school kept by the Rev E. B. Shaw, close to the old windmill, the present Observatory. Among his fellow pupils were the McDougalls and Taylors, of Toowoomba, Pring Roberts, Arthur Chambers, Fred Hamilton, Jack Kent, the two Hausmanns, and other sons of the pioneers.
A four months’ child named Frederick Charles Cracknell was a son of Cracknell, who was the predecessor of Matvieff as head of the Telegraph Department. He lived four miles out on the Ipswich Road, near Hardcastle’s old hotel. Gilbert Wright, of New South Wales, was a solicitor, who died in Brisbane on June 12, 1866, aged 37. He resided in the Valley. His widow married the well-known R. R. Smellie, founder of the firm of R. R. Smellie and Co.
Charlotte Greenwood was the wife of Christopher Henry Greenwood, and died on March 16, 1857, aged 23. Greenwood kept a hotel in Grey Street, near Russell Street, South Brisbane. One Miss Greenwood married George Grenier, of Oxley. The Grenier family held a lot of land in South Brisbane.
Joseph Thompson, who died on December 19, 1857, aged 38, had his name handed down by the Thompson Estate on the IpswichRoad, near the junction.
On March 11, 1856, a young fellow named J. M. Omanney, aged 20, was thrown from his horse and killed on the Breakfast Creek road. He was a son of Major Omanney, of the Bengal Engineers.
One of the earliest graves is that of Edward Roe Thomas, fourth son of Jocelyn Thomas, Esq., of Van Diemen’s Land, who died on July 31, 1853, aged 32. H is father was careful to have the “Esquire” on the tombstone. Some day we shall see a stone to the memory of John Brown, J.P.
A neat stone marks the grave of Frederick Neville Isaac, of Gowrie, Darling Downs, who died on July 12, 1865, aged 44. This name takes us back to the early squatting days, to the year 1845, when Hughes and Isaac held Westbrook and Stanbrook stations, when Tom Bell, grandfather of the present Bells, held Jimbour, and ex P.M. Papa Pinnock held Ellangowan.
Leichhardt named the Isaacs River, a tributary of the Fitzroy, after F. Isaac, of Gowrie station. It is rather remarkable that the name on the tombstone is Isaac, whereas Leichhardt and the early records give it as Isaacs. The Isaac in the Paddington cemetery was only 23 when he met Leichhardt at Gowrie in 1844.
Alice Elizabeth Burrowes, who died in March 1859, was the sixteen year old daughter of Major Edward Burrowes, one time Deputy Surveyor-General when A. C. Gregory was Surveyor-General.
Burrowes held a Lieutenant’s commission in the 93rd Regiment at 17 years of age. He married a Francis Susannah Nalder, who died at the age of 68, at Burketown, when on a visit to her son, and was buried under the only shade tree within a radius of 30 miles. Eight of her family are still living, five sons and three daughters.
One of the girls, Frances Mary, is a widow, living in Yorkshire. Amy is a Mrs. Allan Campbell, of Bathurst, and the third, Augusta, is the wife of the well known Brisbane chemist Harry Cormack. The first treadle sewing machine that ever came to Queensland was imported by A. C. Gregory, and presented to Mrs. Burrowes. It was a great curiosity in those days. Mrs. Cormack’s name, Augusta, was given in honour of Gregory, whose name was Augustus.
A man named Peter Martin was drowned off McCabe's wharf at South Brisbane in 1855, and is buried at Paddington. He was one of three men wrecked away east of Fraser’s Island, and they landed from one of the vessel’s boats on the coast of Bribie Island, where the other two men were killed by the blacks.
Miller got away and landed on St Helena, when Dr. Hobb’s dugong fishing station was there. McCabe’s wharf, where he was drowned, was on the present site of Baines’ Brothers wharf. The first “Courier” office was on McCabe’s wharf, and did not move over to George Street until 1852.
The present W. J. Costyn, chemist in the Valley, was a boy in the “Courier” office on McCabe’s wharf, in 1847 and 1848, and the money to pay for the first plant was found by T. H. Green, whose sister Costyn married in after years. James Swan, who has been often credited with starting the “Courier,” came on the scene only after the office was removed to George Street.